No start after overloading cigarette lighter
1992 Camry 4cyl, automatic, 210,000 mi. No issues except this:
My son forgot what I told him a while back & plugged in a ViAir compressor into the cig/power outlet, instead of going directly to the battery to inflate his tires. In 3 seconds it went dead. The ignition/key now does nothing, no dash lights, no tail lights, no radio, no pw or door locks, and more. The horn, 4way flashers, dome light and headlights do work.
I pulled & checked every fuse (with meter) that I could find. Including under the hood, & the 30A/40A ones behind the AC duct (AM1 & 2), left of steering column.
Thanks, guys, I'm stumped.
sounds like a dead ignition switch. Find a schematic and use a meter to verify
I'm 99% sure my problem is solved. I used a 30a bladed fuse, jump-wired (yellow) as pictured, leaving the blown 100a fuse in the holder. I had the alternator disconnected, along with the battery negative. Having tested for power (or not) at the alternator previously, I figured it was my issue. I connected the alternator wire, then the battery negative. The 30a fuse blew immediately. I disconnected the battery, swapped in a good alternator, and replaced the 30a tester fuse. I connected the negative cable on the battery again and all seems good. No blown tester fuse. The dash lights, tail lights, etc, seem to all be working now.
The battery was down to 11.9v. I put a trickle charge on it so the alternator doesn't have to do it. Tomorrow, I'll button it all up with a new 100 amp fuse and start the car when the battery is up to snuff. Thanks, Gents. I really appreciate the help. (I hope my picture posts)