Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Answers to questions about specifications, how to operate your vehicle etc. can be found in your owner's manual. Please don't ask us to look it up for you.
- What is the correct tire pressure?
- How do I tow my vehicle?
- What engine oil/fuel should I use?
Before posting, please ... Read The Faithful Manual!
- How do I get the best answers to my forum question?
- How do I contact Scotty for an in-person appointment?
- Will Scotty answer my forum question.
- I need to buy a vehicle.
- Was my vehicle recalled?
- Who is a good mechanic in my county? / How do I find a good mechanic?
- How often should I change my engine oil and filter?
- What kind of oil should I put in my engine?
- Should I service my transmission?
- My car stumbles to accelerate and lacks power, or the engine shakes.
(Misfire, engine light, P03xx codes)
- I am getting a trouble light on my dash. What do I do?
- How do I choose a diagnostic scan tool?
- Why doesn't my car crank or start?
- How do I fix my overheating engine?
- I hear noises from my car
- Cabin air doesn't blow/get hot/get cold
- How to find electrical faults
- Catalytic converters: Cleaning and fixing code P0420/P0430.
- Should I put additives in my fuel?
- Ethanol-free gasoline & Ethanol blended gasoline
- Everything you wanted to know about cylinder deactivation
- Why am I getting poor fuel economy? & how do I improve it?
- Will this gadget I plug into my OBD port save fuel or improve performance?
Great everyone's getting a lot of help here thanks for all the organization
I openly invite anybody to write a help article about common car questions that people have, or any other helpful topic for car owners/buyers.
Just submit a new question, compose your article in it, and post the URL here.
Here are some topic suggestions:
- How do I buy a car from a different State.
- car struggles to start, or runs poorly only when warm/cold ...
- chassis vibration while driving ...
- engine vibration ...
- Fixing rich or lean mixture conditions ...
- I got screwed by a mechanic/dealership. Legal advice.
How do I ask Scotty a question directly?
Where/when can I see Scotty live?
This is an open community forum. Scotty intended it as a free public resource, so that people could help each other out. Anybody can join, and everybody can participate.
It is impossible for Scotty to help everybody personally, but he does read the forum and answers here whenever he can, and has helpful hand-picked moderators to make sure no questions fall through the cracks. He also picks some questions out of the forum to feauture on his daily Youtube videos.
Scotty also broadcasts a LIVE streaming show on Youtube twice per week, where he answers your questions live on air (via chat).
- Thursdays: 1:00 PM (Central Standard Time)
- Saturdays: 10:00 AM (Central Standard Time)